Search This Blog

Saturday, April 06, 2013

10 Random Thoughts on Stoker (2013)




1. Chan-wook Park! Pound for pound the best guy making movies these days.

2. I would be very careful who I'd recommend this movie to. It's one of those friendship killing movies. I loved it, but would only recommend it to people in prison.

3. I forgot Nicole Kidman can act. Here she plays a long suffering lady who was trapped in a loveless marriage .. hey, wait a second!

4. Nicole Kidman has been 33 for the last 20 years.

5. I have never seen a movie with this look. Everything is starched and ironed, fresh from the cleaners. And powder blues, beige  and fresh white paint. I loved the art direction here, it almost was like animation how everything was of such a singular aesthetic. There is a lot to look at and it was all perfect.

6. Raise a glass to graphic match editing.

7. The uncle, Matthew Goode, has that wierd Heaven's Gate cult leader thing going on. His performance is incredible.

8. Mia Wasikowska, creepy girls will love her.

9. Nothing happens in this movie for 45 minutes, and you may start fidgeting thinking that this is Chan-wook Park's sterile, overly manored bid for Hollywood cash. But then the movie starts twisting it up, and doesn't stop, and I watched a lot of it through my fingers.

10. This movie has autism.

showstopper 1 - staircase and letters, I went woo-hoo!

showstopper 2 - a little speech on having kids

showstopper 3 - the stunned and dazed audiance staggering out of the theater

No comments: