I went to Wallyworld tonight and saw The Terminator Blu-Ray for 5 bucks which is my kind of cheap. The first one is my favorite. It is scrappy and doesn't waste a second. The movie is perfection when it comes to pace and editing, and it spawned one million rip offs and sequels, none of which are this good. It's 80's animated lighting in a bottle, and everything that can be said, has been said, but here are a few things I noticed for the first time on this rewatch.
1. Brian Thompson is one of the street punks in the beginning that is killed by Arnold. Never noticed that. I knew Bill Paxton was the ""couple cans short of a six pack" guy, but Brian Thompson? Looking pretty normal before roiding out in Cobra two years later.
|Known for his "less is more" performance style.|
|Pretty sick, bro.|
4. Was Kyle shoving the pipe bombs into the duffel bag supposed to be subtle foreshadowing for the love scene coming up? That Cameron really knows how to set the mood.
|Hinty McHint Hint|
6. When Sarah tells Paul Winfield that she is at the bar Tech Noir, the frumpy Lieutenant totally knows where she's talking about. Images of him decked out on a Saturday night, dancing roboticly to new wave hits will forever be in my head now.
7. The back and forth between Paul Winfield and Lance Henrickson is great. Lance keeps trying to tell a disturbing cop story and Paul keeps interrupting him. It's really funny. Never noticed it.
8. Who could have predicted that this guy would become such a linchpin of the series. He's in three of the five movies!?!?
9. The Terminator totally flinches when firing his weapon early in the movie. "Eek, that's so loud and flashy!"
10. When Kyle hot wires a car, he picks the absolute worst time to crank it up and tear out. After giving Sarah Conner his whole backstory and keeping cover for 20 minutes, he doesn't make his move until the Terminator is 10 feet away! Unlucky bastard!
|Wait for it... and NOW!|
BONUS! I remember Dick Smith's murder being really graphic, but if you frame by frame it, this is all it is...
|This and the meat hook scene in Texas Chainsaw. Best Editing Ever.|
Clown Versus Monkey! Check It Out Here!
Buy Satanic Killer Chicken Here!
Watch Short Films Here!