Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

the ravings and droolings

Here's something new. I showed the rough cut to my producers S.C. Caruso and Wes Campbell last week; and prepared myself for a royal shelling. Eight months of work boiled down to this first screening and I really wasn't looking forward to being disemboweled and picked apart.

Well, scratch that, part of me was dying for it. Sitting alone with this thing for so long, how can you keep perspective. You get used to some glaring errors that only jump out again when you have someone else watching. On the other hand, some of the things that have nagged at you go by unnoticed, and when you bring it up later, they say that they didn't even see it. A lot of this is slight of hand I suppose. Look at the pretty bunny while I pick your pocket.

So what was the reaction from two people who have never blown smoke up my ass just to make my ego feel better, two people who will call shit by its name and won't hand you a complement unless you've earned every breath?

They were shocked and awed.

They are the third and forth people to see the film at this state. The first and second were the documentarian Jayson Hammett, who is right now hard at work cutting the hours of behind the scenes footage into an entertaining feature; and Mike Jackson the pre-production conceptualist who's fantastic drawings can be seen on the website.

I love these guys and they would never say anything to do me in, but I have made films in the past that have gotten nice but tepid reactions, and I know what it feels like. Feels like shit.

They freaked. And that's no lie. This is without music, folley, or special effects. I think we have something special; a killer chicken movie to set the bar for all killer chicken movies to come.

Now if I can just figure out how to run this sound board.

No comments: