Search This Blog

Monday, May 25, 2020

Unidentifiable Remains




I can't sleep,
so I wander.
Leave the house,
walk the block.
Looking for distractions.

One night, I found one.
Dead animal,
not a possum,
dog, or cat.
No idea what it was.

Brought it home,
put it on the kitchen table,
careful not to wake the fam.
Had to find out what it was.
I took to the internets.

Three eyes should have been a clue.
Nothing on the net with three eyes
No mammal, insect.
Nothing this size
with extended mandibles

More research
gave me no more.
Who can I call?
This may be a new species.
Then I heard it

Scratching at the door,
the front,
so faint,
you would have missed it.
And a whimper.

This was unlike a dog's whimper.
It had a guttural reverb
like several mouths letting it out
with one breath.
I stood by the door and listened.

Eventually, this whimpering thing
lost patience
and pawed at the door harder.
I heard deep grooves 
digging into the wood.

I turned on the porch light
but t was out of site
from the window.
I could only hear it.
And then it started banging into the door, 

The house shook.
The thing howled now.
A terrible sound.
Now I knew it had come for the dead thing.
I knew it would bash through the door to get it.

My back door.
I checked, coast clear.
I tossed the dead onto the porch,
slammed the door.
Moments later I could hear the other.

It cried.
Almost human,
like a baby
I lay against the door
listening.

When I woke up,
my kid was watching TV.
I had fallen asleep on the floor.
Kid didn't seem to notice.
I opened the back door.

Nothing.
The dead thing, gone,
a trail of blood slid off the porch.
I followed it into the back yard
where it disappeared under the pines.





FIGHT EVIL
Sam Drog

Clown Versus Monkey! Check It Out Here!

Buy Satanic Killer Chicken Here!

Watch Short Films Here!

No comments: