Friday, June 28, 2013
Ten Random Ramblings: Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
Mood Disclaimer: it's Friday, I'm off, had a sandwich, my one year old sleeping in my arm crook, pretty good mood i must say.
1. Gemma Arterton as Gretel gives a great performance. Renner was on "check please" mode
2. Famke Janssen makes a great evil witch.
3. This is a movie about make up effects and fight choreography.
4. Edward the Troll was a great throwback rubber monster.
5. The gathering of the witches had some neat witch designs. Best part of the movie really, a lot of theme witches.
6. I liked the recreation of the old fairy tale at the beginning. Especially the design of the candy house.
7. Tommy Wirkola, the director who did Dead Snow, is a total geek, making geek bait. He is out having a good time and makes "wouldn't it be gnarly if..." movies.
8. Peter Stormare is in this being a jerk, that's reason enough to check it out.
9. Blood and guts, especially when Edward Troll attacks. Serious unrated Lord of the Rings shenanigans.
10. The witches fly around on limbs, and it is great. It brings fond memories of speeder bikes.
SHOWSTOPPER - Blessing the weapons.
How are the credits - total awesome, a three dimensional look into old woodcut medieval artwork. The end credits has nice witchy goth rock on top of blood and guts mixed with freaky witch hunting weaponry.
Final: Don't want to oversell this, it is just fun stuff, not going to hit your top ten of all time, bit it is what every sci-fi original strives to be.